The fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia (Frigga being the name of the Norse goddess for whom "Friday" is named and triskaidekaphobia meaning fear of the number thirteen), or paraskevidekatriaphobia a concatenation of the Greek words Paraskeví (Παρασκευή, meaning "Friday"), anddekatreís (δεκατρείς, meaning "thirteen") attached to phobia (φοβία, from phóbos, φόβος, meaning "fear").
The latter word was derived in 1911and first appeared in a mainstream source in 1953(source: Wikapedia)
Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century's The Canterbury Tales, and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys or begin new projects.
Black Friday has been associated with stock market crashes and other disasters since the 1800s. It has also been suggested that Friday has been considered an unlucky day because, according to Christian Scripture and tradition, Jesus was crucified on a Friday.(Wikepedia)
According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, an estimated 17 to 21 million people in the United States are affected by a fear of this day. Some people are so paralyzed by fear that they avoid their normal routines in doing business, taking flights or even getting out of bed. "It's been estimated that [US]$800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day". Despite this, representatives for both Delta and Continental Airlines say that their airlines do not suffer from any noticeable drop in travel on those Fridays.
Some Friday the 13th trivia:
The 13th book in A Series of Unfortunate Events was released on Friday, October 13, 2006 by Lemony Snicket also known as novelist Daniel Handler.
- Four of the twelve films in the Friday the 13th series, including the most recent(reboot of the series), were released on a Friday the 13th.
- Friday The 13th:May 9, 1980,
- Part 2: April 30, 1981,
- Part 3:August 13, 1982 & May 13, 1983,
- Part 4:April 13, 1984,
- Part 5: March 22, 1985,
- Part 6: August 1, 1986,
- Part 7: May 13, 1988,
- Part 8: July 28, 1989,
- Part 9: August 13, 1993,
- Part 10: August 26, 2002,
- Part 11: Freddy Vs Jason:Aug 15, 2003.
- Reboot of the movies: 2009 saw the re-introduction of Jason Vorhees to the modern horror fan, this one does not deserve to be in the list with the others as it like many of modern horror films are too flashy, they go more for the music video audience where everything is edited so quickly together and flash editing is used to make things speed up towards the camera are just pure annoying. Also because Micheal Bay was one of the producers of the movie as well.
- So if you care to share what are your fears if you have any about Friday The 13th?
- Please Comment below:
- Thank you for reading this
- Written by
- Anthony Nadeau